The 2011 World Financial Group (WFG) Canadian Curling Seniors Cup got underway in Digby, Nova Scotia on March 19. The women took the afternoon draw and the men the evening with all matches played to nine ends unless otherwise noted. The team with the hammer, the last rock advantage for the match, is designated with an asterisk (*).
The women’s action featured these matches:
- Team Nova Scotia and Team Prince Edward Island*, which Team Nova Scotia won 8-4.
- Team Northwest/Yukon Territories faced off against Team British Columbia*, with the latter team winning 6-3.
- Team Newfoundland/Labrador* took to the “house” opposite Team Alberta, with the latter team taking the match 6-3.
- Team Saskatchewan* eked out a 5-4 victory over Team Northern Ontario.
- Team New Brunswick compete against team Manitoba*, but the latter team won 6-5 in ten ends.
- Team Quebec played but lost to Team Ontario*, with the final score of 6-4.
In men’s competition at the World Financial Group (WFG)-sponsored Seniors Curling Cup:
- Team Northwest/Yukon won against Team British Columbia* with a final score of 8-3.
- Team Nova Scotia bested Team Prince Edward Island* 6-3 in ten ends.
- Team Alberta* was victorious over Team Newfoundland/Labrador, winning 5-4 in eleven ends.
- Team New Brunswick faced Team Manitoba*, with the latter team the victor at 7-3.
- In a close match, Team Saskatchewan won 5-4 in ten ends over Team Northern Ontario*.
- In the final match, Team Ontario* won handily against Team Quebec, with the final score of 12-6 in eight ends.
Check back to wfgsports.com for day two action of the World Financial Group (WFG)-sponsored Canadian Seniors Curling Cup! And visit www.worldfinancialgroup.com to learn more about WFG.